Self-storage facilities are a valuable resource for individuals and businesses alike. Whether you need to declutter your home, store seasonal items, or securely store important business documents, self-storage provides a convenient and affordable solution. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about self-storage, from how it works to tips for maximizing your space and security.
What is Self-Storage?
Self-storage, also known as mini-storage or storage units, is a service that provides individuals and businesses with a secure and convenient space to store their belongings. Storage units come in various sizes and types, and they can be rented on a short-term or long-term basis.
Why Use Self-Storage?
Self-storage serves a variety of purposes:
- Decluttering: It helps clear out items that are taking up space in your home or office.
- Moving: Store your belongings during a transition, such as moving to a new home or renovating your current one.
- Seasonal Items: Keep seasonal items, like holiday decorations or sporting equipment, out of your way when not in use.
- Business Storage: Store excess inventory, documents, and equipment to free up workspace.
- Security: Protect valuable items, sensitive documents, and collectibles.
Choosing the Right Storage Unit
Determine Your Needs
Before renting a storage unit, assess your needs. Consider the following:
- Quantity: Estimate the number of items you need to store.
- Type of Items: Some items, like electronics or artwork, may require special conditions.
- Duration: Determine whether you need short-term or long-term storage.
Consider Location and Accessibility
Choose a Pouch facility that is convenient for you, whether it’s near your home or workplace. Accessibility is crucial and our units are accessible 24/7.
Security is paramount when selecting a storage facility. Look for features such as:
- Surveillance Cameras: Pouch has 24/7 high-definition video cameras to deter theft and provide evidence in case of an incident.
- Gated Access: Pouch facilities all have security fences with electronically controlled access gates.
- On-Site Management: A manager on-site can quickly respond to security concerns.
Storage units come in various sizes, typically ranging from small lockers to large rooms. It’s important to choose the right size to avoid paying for unused space. Pouch offers several sizes:
- 5’x5′: Equivalent to a small closet, good for a few boxes or small furniture items.
- 5’x10’: It’s like a standard walk-in closet. Approximately 50 square feet, this unit holds a dozen boxes, a desk and chair, and a mattress and box spring.
- 5’x15’: The size of a large walk-in closet, this rental can hold the contents of a small studio apartment, including small furniture, boxes, and bookcases.
- 10’x10′: About 100 square feet, suitable for furnishings from a one-bedroom apartment.
- 10’x15’: Use this space to store the contents of a small house or a two-bedroom apartment: two couches, two mattress sets, a coffee table, fridge, and TV.
- 10’x20′: The size of a one-car garage, this space is ideal for storing the contents of a two-bedroom house, including appliances.
- 10’x25’: This space can fit a couple of couches, an oversized armchair, dining room set, fridge, washer and dryer, entertainment nook, bookcases, and more.
- 10’x30’: This 300-square-foot space can hold the contents of a three-to-four-bedroom house.
Packing and Organizing
Organizing and Inventory
To maximize your storage space and easily locate items, maintain an organized system. Create an inventory list of all the items you store and update it regularly. Organize similar items together and keep frequently accessed items at the front.
Proper packing is essential to prevent damage to your items during storage. Here are some packing tips:
- Use Quality Packing Materials: Invest in sturdy boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and other packing supplies.
- Fill Boxes to Capacity: Use appropriate box sizes and fill them to prevent them from collapsing.
- Disassemble Furniture: Take apart large furniture items to protect them and save space.
- Protect Fragile Items: Wrap fragile items in bubble wrap or packing paper.
Labeling Your Items
Label all boxes and items clearly. Use a system that makes it easy to identify the contents. Color-coded labels or a numbering system can be helpful. This will save you time when you need to get to your stuff.
To maximize space in your storage unit, disassemble large furniture items like beds, tables, and bookshelves. Keep screws and small parts in labeled bags to reassemble them later.
Transportation and Moving In
Gather all necessary moving supplies, including:
- Boxes: Various sizes to accommodate different items.
- Packing Materials: Bubble wrap, packing paper, and packing peanuts.
- Tape: Strong packing tape for sealing boxes.
- Furniture Covers: Protect your furniture from dust and damage.
We Move You Free
- Pouch is the innovator of the “we move you free” program. The Pouch Moving Truck and Driver are provided free of charge (The driver is not allowed to assist you).
- Each Truck carries one Fridge/Furniture dolly and ten moving pads.
- Our service area is a 15-mile radius from the storage facility.
- Contact your nearest Pouch facility for more details.
Loading and Unloading
When loading your storage unit, follow these guidelines:
- Place heavy items at the bottom and lighter items on top to prevent crushing.
- Leave a clear aisle in the center of the unit for easy access to items.
- Stack boxes and furniture systematically to maximize space.
Maintenance and Accessibility
Visit your storage unit periodically to check on your items. This helps ensure they are in good condition and allows you to make any necessary adjustments to your organization system.
Maintenance of Stored Items
Check for signs of damage, pests, or moisture during your visits. Replace damaged boxes and address any issues promptly to protect your belongings.
Accessibility and Operating Hours
All Pouch facilities offer accessibility to your unit 24/7 with secure digital gate entry. Come and go any time you like to load and unload your valuables.
Security and Insurance
While Pouch facilities have ample security measures in place, it’s essential to take personal security measures seriously. Here’s how:
- Use Quality Locks: Invest in a high-quality lock for your storage unit.
- Limit Access: Share access codes and keys only with trusted individuals.
- Inventory and Documentation: Keep records and photographs of valuable items.
Personal Security Measures
In addition to facility security, consider self-storage insurance. This insurance can protect your items in the event of theft, damage, or natural disasters. Review your homeowner’s insurance policy to see if it covers items in storage.
Costs and Contracts
Storage unit prices can vary based on factors such as location, size, and features. Understand the pricing structure of the facility, which may include monthly fees and additional charges.
Before signing a rental contract, read and understand the terms and conditions. Pay attention to rental periods, payment schedules, and any termination clauses. Be aware of any price increases that might occur during your rental.
Watch out for hidden fees, such as late payment charges, administrative fees, or fees for changing units. Understanding these fees can help you avoid unexpected costs.
Moving Out and Closing Your Account
When you no longer need the storage unit, follow the facility’s termination process. This typically involves giving notice to the facility and ensuring your unit is empty and clean.
Leaving a Review
After your storage experience, consider leaving a review of the facility. Reviews can help others make informed decisions and hold storage facilities accountable for their service quality.
Whether you need short-term or long-term storage, Pouch can help offer a convenient and secure solution for your storage needs. With have nine state-of-the-art storage facilities located throughout California, we’re proud to serve our community and several other surrounding areas with affordable and secure storage solutions. Find us in Anaheim, Rancho Cucamonga, Tustin, Lake Forest, San Juan Capistrano, Long Beach, Fountain Valley, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.
Contact your local facility if you would like to take a tour. We would love to show you around!
Self-storage has become a popular solution for individuals and businesses looking for extra space to store their belongings. In recent years, the self-storage industry has been on the rise, attracting more and more customers. From decluttering to relocating, there are several reasons why people opt for self-storage. In this post, we will explore five reasons why self-storage is on the rise.
Decluttering is one of the primary reasons why people turn to self-storage. It is a great way to free up space in your home or office and get rid of clutter. Whether you are moving home, or downsizing, self-storage can help you organize your belongings and keep them safe. This way, you can keep your home or office tidy without sacrificing the things you value most.
Self-storage is not only beneficial for individuals but also businesses. Many companies use self-storage to store their inventory or stock temporarily. It provides an affordable and secure way to store their items without having to rent a bigger office or warehouse. This is especially beneficial for small businesses that are just starting out and cannot afford to rent larger commercial space just yet.
Seasonal storage is another factor that has been driving the growth of the self-storage industry. Whether you are a fashionista looking to store your winter clothing during the summer months or an outdoor enthusiast looking for a place to store your camping gear during winter, self-storage is the perfect solution. You can access your items whenever you need them without having to worry about cluttering up your home or office space.
Self-storage is also known for its convenience. Most facilities offer 24/7 access to your storage unit, so you can retrieve or store your items at any time. Additionally, modern facilities provide amenities such as packing supplies, loading docks, and storage units with climate control. This makes it easy and safe to store your possessions, ensuring their protection and longevity.
Security is always a concern when it comes to storing valuable items. Many self-storage facilities offer maximum security measures such as CCTV, security personnel, and alarm systems to protect their customers’ belongings. This way, you can rest assured that your possessions are safe and secure while in storage.
Discover How Pouch Self Storage Can Help You Today!
Self-storage has become a popular and reliable storage solution for individuals and businesses. With convenience, security, and affordability, it is no wonder that the self-storage industry has been on the rise. Whether it is for decluttering, business storage, seasonal storage, or convenience and security, there are plenty of reasons to opt for self-storage. At Pouch Self Storage, we offer a wide range of units to suit every requirement. Get in touch with us today to find the perfect storage solution for you!
If you’re considering storing your things in self-storage, you might want to know more about the state of the industry. Is it a business that’s likely to remain viable over the next several years? Are you safe leaving your things there, or do you need to worry that your self-storage facility will close, and you’ll have to scramble to find another place for your belongings? We’ve got good news! The self-storage industry is a very profitable one, and it’s likely to continue to grow in value over the coming years. In 2020, the worldwide self-storage market had a value of $48.02 billion, and it’s expected to continue to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 5.45 percent between 2021 and 2026. It’s clear that self-storage is here to stay, so feel free to plan for long-term use of your storage unit. Why is self-storage doing so well?
- Nearly everyone could use a little bit of extra space. It seems like no matter how large a house is, there are always excess items that need to be handled. Since storage issues are so common, self-storage is a necessary industry, providing a convenient solution. While those in the rental house business often have trouble finding tenants, this is never an issue for self-storage.
- Once people move their things into a storage unit, they’re not likely to move them back out quickly. Having packed everything and carried it to a storage unit, people are not going to shift it to a different one because they found a better price. Rather, people tend to rent storage units and keep them for a long time, possibly longer than they originally intended.
- Pandemic-driven shifts have propelled self-storage to further success. Offices are downsizing, and people are increasingly working from home. On both sides of this equation, there’s a need for self-storage, as business owners store office furniture to lower their overhead on their office space and workers store home furnishings to make room for a newly necessary home office. What’s more, many families have found themselves in a position to downsize, which creates a need for self-storage for the residential sector.
- Baby Boomers and Millennials are a boon to the self-storage industry. As they grow older and leave the workforce, many Boomers are downsizing or migrating to other states, yet don’t want to give up their possessions. Millennials are flocking to urban areas, where they’ll have smaller living space, and they’re moving more frequently than prior generations did. For both these generations, then, self-storage provides a convenient solution to storage issues.
- Innovative new technology is easy to implement in the self-storage business. Modern self-storage facilities offer consumers a technology-rich experience that’s convenient and responsive. Contactless methods of doing business are extremely popular, especially self-service kiosks. Further, many storage facilities are offering customers the opportunity to do everything online or on their phones, from choosing and renting a storage unit to paying their monthly storage bill.
- You get more out of self-storage than simply storage space. Self-storage facilities also sell locks, boxes, packing supplies, and more, to make moving and storing your things easy and convenient.
Pouch Self Storage is an example of a self-storage facility that’s been growing and thriving for years because of a commitment to taking care of our customers. We’ve been operating mini-storage facilities since 1979 and we’re committed to keeping our clients’ belongings safe. Founded by John Yelland, who hails from Australia, Pouch Self Storage is named in honor of the kangaroo’s pouch- nature’s safe and secure storage spot. We’re an industry leader in design, building, and maintenance of self-storage facilities, and we strive to give our occupants the most advanced security systems available. At our nine Southern California facilities, you’ll find state-of-the-art computer monitoring systems that allow our self-storage managers to monitor the opening and closing of every storage unit door, 24 hours a day. For more information, call (800) 378-4598 or contact us through our website.
Is working from home wearing you out? This past year has been rough for many people, as they adjust to a “new normal” of working from home and caring for their families at the same time. Unfortunately, it can all lead to burnout. How can you keep from burning out and stay healthy and productive?
- Why do people suffer from work-from-home burnout? Burnout is not a new concept, but the pandemic has made it feel especially hopeless. We’re home so much, trying to maintain normalcy in a world that feels far from normal, and we have no idea when things will change. It all adds up to a level of stress that can be particularly devastating. When people can’t separate their work and home lives, it can lead to work-from-home burnout, because feeling like you’re always “on” can be physically and emotionally exhausting.
- How do you know if you’re heading towards burnout? Everyone is stressed right now, so what makes work-from-home burnout different from run-of-the-mill emotional turmoil and fatigue? Pay attention to these symptoms:
- Physical symptoms like tension, dizziness, fainting, chest pain, headaches, heart palpitations, gastrointestinal pain, or increased occurrence of illnesses
- Losing track of tasks or failing to finish work on time
- Mood changes, including irritability sadness, or anger
- Symptoms of depression like hopelessness, loss of interest in things you normally enjoy, or fatigue
- Feeling apathetic or discouraged in your work
- Having trouble sleeping because of insomnia or having trouble falling asleep
- Drinking more than usual
- If you think you’re suffering from burnout, there are some strategies you can try to help you recover. There’s no magical solution, and different things work for different people, so you might want to try a few of these and see what helps you.
- Find ways to take back control of your life. Some things are out of your control, so take control of what you can. Plan healthy meals and eat them on a schedule. Work at least 15 or 20 minutes of exercise into your day, and plan a bedtime routine that will help you calm down and fall asleep.
- Set some boundaries. Define your work hours and stick to your schedule. Don’t respond to emails or messages during your non-working hours. Take a 15 to 30 minute break in the middle of your work day. Talk to your boss about how you can make some changes that will help keep you motivated.
- Connect with people. It’s easy to feel isolated right now, but human contact is important, so make a point to reach out to others. Talking to someone on the phone might give you just the boost you need. It might also help you to talk to a therapist.
- Do something each day that’s just for you. Step away from your technology and have some “me time” every day. You might take a five-minute break in the morning and afternoon to do a quick mindfulness exercise, taking a few deep breaths and paying attention to your surroundings. Beyond that, though, set aside some time daily to do something you enjoy, like pursuing a hobby or playing with pets.
- You can also set yourself up for success with a better workspace. Physically separating your work and living spaces is ideal, so even if you don’t have a separate home office, make sure you have a dedicated workspace. Keep it tidy, and make sure it’s comfortable and well-organized. Leave your work area for lunch for further delineation.
Pouch Self Storage has been operating mini-storage facilities since 1979 and is committed to keeping our clients’ belongings safe. Founded by John Yelland, who hails from Australia, Pouch Self Storage is named in honor of the kangaroo’s pouch- nature’s safe and secure storage spot. We’re an industry leader in design, building, and maintenance of self-storage facilities, and we strive to give our occupants the most advanced security systems available. At our nine Southern California facilities, you’ll find state-of-the-art computer monitoring systems that allow our self-storage managers to monitor the opening and closing of every storage unit door, 24 hours a day. Currently, we’re abiding by CDC recommendations and implementing social distancing, but you can still reach us by calling (800) 378-4598 or contacting us through our website.
When you are the owner of a business, it is important to make sure that all of your documents and spare inventory are placed in a secure and protected location. Business storage is a smart solution for your document and equipment storage needs.
With quality business storage, you will have all of the space that you need to house your important items and papers, off-site. Climate controlled storage is one great business storage option that will be provided to you by your local storage company. Along with seeking out climate controlled storage, you may also want to ask about business self storage in Anaheim. With self storage units, you can organize your storage unit to meet your personal preferences.
When you are seeking business storage or vehicle storage near Anaheim, look no further than POUCH Self Storage. Our highly rated storage units will be perfectly suited to your business storage needs. To hear more about how we can assist you with your storage needs, call us at (800) 378-4598.
Small businesses tend to have a lot of hurdles to jump over in order to be successful. The best way to keep a small business running smoothly is to stay organized. If office supplies or inventory starts to clutter your workspace or storefront, consider renting a self storage unit. Some storage facilities offer supplementary services for your convenience, such as a free moving truck, so do your research. Watch this video to learn another way to keep your business organized.
Since 1979, POUCH Self Storage has been providing our customers with fantastic business storage units, as well as standard self storage units in Anaheim. Call us today at (800) 378-4598 for more information, including how you can reserve one of our personal or business storage units.
Over the years, a business can accumulate a lot of items such as inventory, mountains of important paperwork, business supplies, and boxes upon boxes of records and receipts. If left unchecked, all of these items can start to clutter up your office space, storage rooms, or storefront. To maintain a sense of order and organization that your business needs to thrive, you should utilize an off-site storage unit. Here are some benefits of off-site business storage.
Office spaces and storefronts that are cluttered can be real turnoffs for business associates and customers. Not only can clutter be unsightly, but it can also make your business seem less credible. To keep your place of business tidy and organized, store your files, excess inventory, and other business items that you’re not currently using at a secure storage facility.
Accessibility and Convenience
When choosing among the many storage facilities in your area, go with the one that’s nearest to your business. Ideally, your storage unit should be no more than five minutes away by car. Also, be sure to pick a place that has convenient hours of operation—that is, your unit should be accessible to you and your employees when you need to access your belongings.
Climate-Controlled Storage Units
If you’re planning to move boxes of important business documents, receipts, or financial records to your storage unit, you want to be sure that they’re going to be safe while they’re being stored. Since standard units are generally not airtight or insulated, the items kept inside them can be vulnerable to extreme temperature fluctuations and high humidity levels. To protect your valuable and sensitive items, consider renting a climate-controlled storage unit, which is designed to maintain a steady temperature and humidity level within itself.
POUCH Self Storage strives to provide our customers with the best business storage solutions on the market today. Contact us at (800) 378-4598 to learn more about our business and self storage options in Rancho Cucamonga, as well as our free moving truck service.
Self storage can be a vital part of running an efficient and successful business. You may not have room to store everything you need for your business on your own commercial premises. Inventory, stationery, office supplies, packaging, and spare office furniture can be bulky. If your business space becomes crowded or cluttered, it could reduce efficiency and you may find it difficult to locate the things you need. To use self-storage units near you in the most effective way, there are a few business storage guidelines you should follow.
Start by Making a List
The first step is to decide which items to store on your premises and which to allocate to a self-storage unit. Stationery, supplies, and equipment which is in regular use are best kept on-site. You can store office equipment which you use less often. A self-storage unit is also the ideal place to keep spare inventory. You can retrieve it easily as soon as it is needed. To make it easier to locate individual items, group similar objects together. Make sure all boxes and containers are clearly labeled.
Pack Things Carefully
To avoid damage to your valuable stock and supplies, make sure you use suitable packing materials. Stack furniture neatly. Box things carefully using sturdy boxes of an appropriate size. Use smaller boxes for heavier items. Enclose delicate objects in bubble wrap for protection. Stack heavy boxes underneath lighter ones. Consider installing shelving in your self-storage unit.
Create a Map of the Storage Unit
A hand-drawn or computer-generated sketch of the storage unit, with a map of everything that is stored inside, can be extremely useful. To prevent hours of searching, create a list of exactly what you have stored and where.
If you are interested in business storage space or jumbo storage units for your commercial inventory or supplies, we at POUCH Self Storage can help. Let us advise you on how to use self-storage in Anaheim , Fountain Valley, Lake Forest, Long Beach, Pasadena, Rancho Cucamonga, San Juan and Tustin, make your business more streamlined and efficient. For more ideas, call one of our Self Storage Specialists at (800) 378-4598, or visit our website.
Record retention is a valuable tool for companies and home businesses. A storage unit at a reputable storage facility is a safe, secure place to store important documents you may need later. Here are some key reasons why record retention is important.
It Can Prove Valuable in a Lawsuit
If you or your company is sued, or if you are listed as a plaintiff, witness, or custodian of record in any legal proceeding, the information contained in company and employee records might prove invaluable. You don’t need to store every piece of paper you’ve received since the founding of your company. Consult with an attorney with experience in records management for guidelines on what records are crucial and useful to store, and how long they should remain in storage before they can be destroyed.
It May Be Legally Required
Depending upon your business, retaining records for a specific time period may be legally required. All organizations are required by law to retain tax records and employment records. Typically, companies with 15 or more employees are required to keep employment records for 1 to 5 years, depending upon the document. Documents related to medical exams must be retained for at least 30 years. Tax records must be retained between 2 and 7 years, depending upon the tax document.
You Can Create an Inventory of Your Records
Sending your important records to a storage facility is a perfect opportunity to create a database or inventory of these documents for future reference. Each storage box should be numbered and contain distinctly labeled folders. As you add documents to folders, folders to boxes, and boxes to your storage unit, you should maintain and update your inventory.
If you or your company is in need of a secure storage facility in Orange County , Los Angeles County or San Bernardino County, contact a Self Storage Specialist at POUCH Self Storage. We have 8 convenient California locations, and offer a number of different self-storage unit sizes and services, including business storage, secure document storage, and on-site document shredding and destruction. For more information, call us today at (800) 378-4598.
If you are responsible for your business, you may find paper documents take up a significant amount of space on your property. To solve your space issues, you might want to consider the great business storage services POUCH Self Storage has to offer. Our spacious storage units offer all the room you will need to store and organize your important documents. In addition, our climate controlled storage spaces at POUCH Self Storage Long Beach have around the clock security services that ensure your sensitive documents are protected. With our onsite document shredding and jumbo storage units, we will be able to help you get the most out of your document storage space.
To learn more about the benefits of choosing POUCH Self Storage, give us a call at (800) 378-4598. Our Self Storage Specialists will be thrilled to answer your questions about the services we have to offer.